[sac-forum] Re: Mars Lander

  • From: "Rotramel, Rick (AZ77)" <rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:08:00 -0700

All,

I was glued to my computer monitor last Sat. evening watching the NASA
audio/video stream from the JPL control room of Spirit, from just before
cruise stage jettison, to until after the photos came in from the Odyssey
orbiter and witnessed jubilant people at JPL.

Another WOW!!

Around midnight I went outside and gazed up at Mars and sighed......Spirit
made it onto the surface!  And flawlessly too!

I went to bed at 3:30 am Sunday, and got up and watched the morning news
conference from JPL at 10:00 am. Spirit was reported to be in excellent
shape!

And Sunday evening, more good news, the High Gain Antenna was repositioned
so that the mast would not be in the way of transmitting to Earth and that
it was working great at 11.8 kb/s data rate. Also, more photos came in!

Again, WOW!!!

Rick R.