[sac-forum] July SAC meeting - Opportunity...

  • From: "Chris Hanrahan" <chris.hanrahan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Sac-Forum]" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:08:12 -0700

Hello All,
For some time now I have been thinking about getting you, the Saguaro
Astronomy Club members, more involved in our club meetings.  To a certain
degree, this opportunity presents itself during the monthly "show-and-tell"
portion of the meeting.  However, there really isn't an opportunity to give
individuals 8 or 10 minutes to share quality information with the group.
I'd like to change that.  Here's my proposal:

For the July 2009 meeting, I'm looking for 5 to 7 people to act as "guest
speakers" for the club.  (Now don't think I'm just lazy and trying to avoid
rounding up a "real" guest speaker for that month!  Phoenix is just
delightful in July and I'm sure prospective guest speakers will be knocking
down my door to request an engagement with us that month.)  My thought is
these "guest speakers" would be willing to share their vast knowledge of a
particular astronomy-related topic with the rest of us.  Don't have "vast
knowledge" of a particular topic?  I would venture a guess that with some
diligent research, any one of us could come up with an informative talk on a
particular topic.
What would that topic be?  I don't know.  You tell me.  Don't be shy!  Shoot
me an e-mail, off forum, and we can discuss your ideas.  Above all, I'm
looking for people to provide something above and beyond "show-and-tell"
type shorts.  And don't make this a stressful operation!  Have some fun with
it!  I bet we could all learn something from those around us.  Surely we're
not so vain as to think we know it all.

If I get enough folks to volunteer, I'll schedule our July meeting with
these "guest speakers."  If not, I'll be sure and backfill a speaker.

As many of you who moved to Arizona from points east know full well, quality
speakers aren't always available.  Often club members would be responsible
for informing (or entertaining, however you'd like to look at it) other
members of the club.  In Arizona, we are very fortunate to have a wealth of
astronomy-based amateurs and professionals to draw speakers from.  But let's
not overlook all of SAC's members.  Together we make this a great club.

I'm not sure if this has ever been attempted before in the history of SAC,
but I think it has the potential to be informative and a lot of fun.
Thanks for your time and get out there and observe!
Hope to hear from you soon,
Chris Hanrahan
SAC VP
16235 W Redfield Rd