[sac-forum] Re: GPS Reading

  • From: "Robert Parks" <rparks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:18:42 -0700

To really get an accurate position, the satellite constellation should
change positions a large amount.  The surveyors doing a static session
with their high $$ systems, will collect data for a few hours at a
certain spot, then return a week later. By then the entire constellation
of satellites would have shifted around the globe, and a totally new
geometry will be measured.

I have a set of survey grade GPS receivers and equipment, if you need
really accurate readings. They could be used to collect at least 2 hours
of data, that could be processed by the OPUS program on the web.
Accuracy to 5-8 centimeters or better.

To checl your hand held, look on the Maricopa County Dept of
Transportation website (mcdot survey), to locate the nearest accessible
GDACS station. The location is published so you can place your receiver
on the monument and check its readings.  There is on on the west end of
the Adobe Dam, near 35th Ave & Deer Valley accessible from 43d avenue.
My WAAS capable receiver was about 8 ft HZ and 5 ft vertical, very good
results.

Bob Parks