[sac-forum] CFO Request for May

  • From: "acrayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:30:43 -0700

It is, again, that time of the month for submitting observations for CFO.
Observations need to be submitted by April 26th in order for me to have time to
put the column together and send to our Editor.

Here we are in the middle of spring and time for one of our favorite type of
objects – galaxies in Leo.  We’ll cover some well know and some not so well
know that I have encountered.  First is the bright and large NGC2903 a fine
multi-arm spiral.  How much detail can you detect in your scope?  Swing
eastward to NGC3162 another large bright galaxy but not quite up to the prior
one.  Now for a trio of considerably faint galaxies located between gamma and
zeta Leonis.  They are the faint NGC3185 with a brighter middle.  NGC3190 is
next and is an early type spiral that is close to edge-on.  Just ignore its
paring with NGC3187.  The last of this trio is NGC3193 an elliptical galaxy
that is slightle elongated.  Now look at 4 more galaxies that are part of Abell
1367.  They are NGC3837 an elliptical that is faint and small.  NGC3842
brightest of the cluster but is rather large so has a low surface brightness.
NGC3844 is another spiral that is also faint and small.  The last of the 4 is
NGC3840.  Note that this Abell cluster has more galaxies brighter than 14th
magnitude than any other.  Next is a seemingly little know galaxy cluster.  It
is called the Leo Cluster, but may be know by other names.  Again we have
another 3 galaxies and they start with NGC3987 that is faint and elongated.
Would you call it edge-on?  Ignore NGC3989 2.6’ to the northeast.  The last of
this trio and last on our list is NGC3997 between two 12th mag stars and is
very small and faint.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ..