[sac-forum] Andromeda

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:18:02 -0700

As indicated in the last newsletter, the constellation for December is
Andromeda.  I'm biting the bullet and putting the Great Andromeda Galaxy
first on the list - that's M31, M32 and M110.  Other galaxies on the
list are NGC404 and NGC891.  Add to that the planetary NGC7662, called
the Blue Snowball by Leland Copland.  Don't let the nickname intimidate
you; what color do you see.  Going northward a little more than six
degrees from NGC7662 you will encounter the next object on the list,
NGC7686 that is centered on a six magnitude star.  Finally, give the
double star beta Andromedae a try.  An early observation of mine called
it, "very close."  Do you see it that way or not?

If you get lucky and have time left over, then here's the January list,
cut right straight from the original article with no editorializing.
Our January observations begin with NGC1662, M42 (OK I give, let's try
this and see what happens), NGC1999 (a combination of reflection,
emission and dark nebulae; I wonder what nebula filters do to this
object), NGC2169 (an open cluster with a peculiar arrangement of its
stars) and NGC2174 (an open cluster and nebula, try filters on this
one).  For a double star add rho (r) Orionis to the list.  As in the
past, let us know what color or colors you detect.  All of these objects
are in Orion!  But you already knew that, didn't you?

As I've told some folks, I'll not be at Flat Iron Saturday night, but
have a good time anyway.  I'm hoping for clear skies for all.

aj