[sac-forum] Re: 2 subjects-money and Holiday party

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:54:39 -0700

Hello All,

Jeff Hopkins brings up a few points that I'd like to chime in on.  And Jeff,
please understand that I state these opinions with the utmost respect for
your position.  I'm not out to create rivalries or to undermine anybody.

>Since I tried to discuss this before and offered several suggestions,
>some SAC  board members seem to be not interested in raising money
>nor in increasing the membership. However, higher dues seemed fine.

The big goal of the board is to see to it that the club survives.  Having
attended nearly every board meeting in the past couple years, I can assure
everyone that the board is doing this.  The board is not opposed to raising
money or increasing the membership, but you have to realize the larger
picture.  Raise too much money, and we risk losing our "not for profit"
status.  Get too many members too quickly, and we're looking for a larger
room, and all the smaller details attached, which requires more money.  As
far as higher dues, that is just a suggestion that will be talked about at
future board meetings.  Just because it was posted doesn't make it a fact.
Bottom line, I can't think of anyone who opposes change, but such change
needs to be controlled so we don't find ourselves being overwhelmed.

>It addition, SAC is unable to show tangible value to membership for
>paying dues. Even simple things like issuing membership cards and
>inexpensive name tags could go a long way in member perception of
>getting "something" for their money. I thought it was my deafness
>that prohibited me from knowing more than a handful of club members
>(I still don't know who AJ is), but I have found at least several
>other who are in the same position and hear fine. Name tags would
>certainly help and I'm not talking about the fancy engraved ones.

I joined SAC in 1998, and I have never once felt that I needed to justify
the dues with "tangible" evidence.  But here's one...The newsletter is
absolutely top notch, and one could argue one of the best Astromomy NL's in
the country.
Some intangibles that I feel are more than worth my dues....

The SAC reputation is very widespread.  From software to discussions lists,
the astronomy community knows SAC.

The collective brainpower.  Have a question?  I'm willing to bet you can get
the answer from someone within the club.  This alone is why I feel so many
members have advanced beyond the "neophyte" stage effectively.  I would
certainly hope the ATM group I host shows this spirit.

The comradere.  I wouldn't hesitate to drive 100+ miles with this group,
even to be clouded out and chat the night away.  And within this is the
diversity, the topics are widespread, entertaining, educational, and
refreshing.

As far as name badges, I own one, but forget it half the time.  Certianly,
something could be worked out to provide them (I'm not putting any words in
the board' mouth.), but whether people remember to wear them is another
matter.  And even an inexpensive one would mean adding a small cost to
membership just so someone has something tangible.

>Unless something is changed (and many seem against any change), I
>suspect the membership will continue to decline and dues continue to
>rise. Regardless of what EVAC does, SAC has the potential to become a
>really great club, lower dues, have a bigger budget and do much more
>in the world of astronomy.

Again, the board as I see it (and I'm not a member, I just show up...) is
not against change, it just
has to do it cautiously.

Respectably,
Thad