[rsc] Proposal for Annual Meeting

  • From: Hope Clark <hopeclark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:40:26 -0400

Dear RSC,

Part of my questioning has been:

How do we move from using art as a tool for inspiration and introspection, to using art as a tool for systemic change.

Can we look at the difference between structures that use art as a placebo verses using art as an empowerment tool that points out choices.

For instance at the Human Rights Film Festival in New Orleans that I was able to attend for one evening, I learned about Iraqis detained by the US government. nohttp://www.bignoisefilms.com/videowire/48/48 "...once Iraqis are swept up in the system, there is no clear way out. The military calls them "security detainees" and they do not have any of the rights given to "prisoners". In fact, "security detainees" are not even accused of committing a crime. They are doing time, not for crimes they have committed, but for crimes they may commit in the future." The US government does though give them art classes.

Can we look at case studies in the South East US of art programs and what they offer? Can we ask the question of how they might be focused on systemic change or more focused on systemic change?

Can we look at the Social Service system in the US verses Social Action and Social Justice Movements in the US and talk about arts roles in these systems?

What do you think about creating a Dialogue/Learning Exchange about these subjects for the Annual Meeting?

Hope

mobile: 917 442 9424