[rsc] Re: Conf call notes-RSC rhizome trainings

  • From: Hope Clark <hopeclark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:09:46 -0400

Thank you Stephen for the Notes from the last call.

I think I need some clarification about the RSC rhizome trainings. Is this something that should be announced to each rhizome to see if there is interest? To be done before the Annual Meeting seems very soon. I am interested in helping to organize one if there is interest in my rhizome.

I recently attended a performance of Anu Yadav's play 'Capers organized by students at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health in Baltimore. There was a panel discussion afterwards with a community member from the Arthur Capper/Carrollsburg public housing projects which the play was about. The discussion was very rich due to the honest questions of the students and honest answers of the panel about the subject matter of the play, gentrification and human rights. This seemed like a good example of the kind of dialogue RSC and Roots is looking for after a piece of work that brings up real issues.

Is there a plan to have the schedule Saturday Gathering at the Crossroads more fleshed out?

best, Hope

(from the RSC conference call notes)

Update on RSC rhizome trainings – Carolyn via Laura

Proposal from Kathie deNobriga:

INSTEAD of doling out the money in $1-2,000 increments, why not try for more leverage by using the money to convene a series of RSC learning exchanges, centered in the Rhizomes. These day-long "exchanges" could, with very little effort, could be expended to serve as mini-festival, recruitment fair, and critically, strategic planning sessions. (We're starting the SP process, and need to have some regional input.) We're envisioning one of two templates: a Friday night/all-day Saturday event OR an all-day Saturday/ Sunday- morning structure (below are the two Templates, and an agenda for each).

Template A
Friday Evening

·       Planning Session

·       Refreshments

·       Artistic Sharing

Saturday Gathering at the Crossroads

· Foundation for Community Partnerships - Principles of Community Engagement

· Community Artists Partnership Projects: What's Shaking Amongst those present

· Specific Project Ideas and/or Projects of Participants (Some part of the Community Arts Project Kit & Exchange Ideas for Creating Sustainable Projects)

·       Resources within your community AND Region to support C/APP

·       Next Steps

·       Evening Performances and Celebration of Time Together

Template B
Saturday Gathering at the Crossroads
(same as above)me Together

Sunday Morning
Planning Brunch

Our available funds would enable us to compensate the RSC facilitator, space rental if necessary, travel scholarships for folks coming any distance (gas money), some food, documentation, etc. We were thinking about starting these as soon as is reasonable, and be done with them by the Annual Meeting, where the Strategic Plan will really take place, based on our regional Listening sessions.

On Apr 4, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Stephen Clapp wrote:

<04-04-08 RSC Call.doc>