[rsc] Charlotte Gathering at Crossroads working agenda

  • From: "Sheila Kerrigan" <kerrigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:00:02 -0400

Dear folks, Several people have asked me if they could see the agenda for
our Charlotte event this weekend. I am attaching the still evolving agenda
for the Charlotte Gathering at the Crossroads this weekend. It may get
stripped, so I am pasting it below. I'm afraid the formatting below is
messed up, but I haven't the time to fix it. It's in landscape, not
portrait. (wide, not tall.) The two sidebars don't line up with the central
part.

My discussions with Latonya and Omari lead me to believe that what we do in
Charleston the following week will not look the same at all, because more of
the Charleston people most likely to appear have more community
arts-activism experience than the folks in Charlotte.

In Charlotte, April Turner will lead the Strategic planning process on
Friday night. We don't know who is leading the listening session in
Charleston for the strategic planning process. Omari has said he could do
it,

 but, more importantly, what are the questions? Who can we contact to get
the information we need to conduct the listening sessions? Could someone who
knows please email me, April Turner, Jeff Mather, Omari Fox, Latonya
Wallace, and Eleanor Brownfield what you know about the strategic planning
process, and what we need to know?

Thank you!

Best,

Sheila Kerrigan

kerrigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2310 Stansbury Rd

Chapel Hill NC 27516

919-929-1624

Check out my book, The Performer's Guide to the Collaborative Process:

www.collaborativecreativity.com

www.heinemanndrama.com/products/E00311.aspx

Time & Who

10:00 - 10:10

All

10:10-11:00

10:10 Sheila explain

10:15 groups work

Sheila, April, Jeff observe, support and participate as appropriate

10:25 show group work

10:35 dialogue

Sheila facilitate;

April or Jeff take notes

10:45 monologue

Sheila, Jeff & April

11:00

Attendees

11:10

Jeff

12:00

Attendees

12:10

1:10

1:20

April;

Sheila or Jeff keep time

2:05

2:10 Sheila

2:20 April, Jeff & Sheila

2: 25-2:35

2:45

3:00

April

3:15 Jeff

3:30 April

3:40 Sheila

3:50 Attendees

4:00 Attendees

Goals for the Day

ROOTS Goals

Introduce people to Alternate ROOTS, to CAPP

Invite people to the Annual Meeting & to join ROOTS

Give people technical support for CAPP

To Provide a learning exchange that shows:

*         How arts and activism can support each other

*         How the arts can effect transformation

*         What the principles of community arts engagement are

*         How the principles can be applied to a community arts residency

Attendee Goals

To get information about:

*         How to use art to address community race issues

*         Practical tools artists can use when working in communities (Will
we do an exercise on Fri.?)

*         Who in our neighborhood is engaged in community arts activism

Coming together

Goals

Find out who is here

Help all feel welcome

Start to build a sense of support among those present

Sequence and Activities:

Welcome people, invite them to get a drink/snack and to make a nametag.

Ask people to post any resources they know of that have helped them in their
work in communities using sticky-notes and markers on the wall. Look at
what's up there and converse informally about them.

Also, point out Burning Issues/Questions paper and ask people to use it.

Getting Started: Resources for Social Change Principles of Community
Engagement

Goals

*         To model ways of using art to address issues/questions

*         To model ways of sharing power and building leadership

*         To model using art and dialogue as paths for learning

Sequence & Activities:

In four groups, in 10 minutes.

Group up according to preferred art form-movement/dance, literary/spoken,
dramatic, visual art.

If the groups are larger than 3 people, assign roles:

*         Director-listens to ideas, tries them out, and makes decisions

*         Facilitator-makes sure everyone is heard; if someone is quiet,
asks, "What do you think?"; if people are talking over each other, gives
time for each to speak and listen.

*         Timekeeper-keeps the group on task and lets them know how much
time is left.

*         Empath-pays attention to emotions, names them or checks in with
someone who is exhibiting strong feeling.

Each group explores a different principle:

Group 1: Create (a) statue(s) and/or movement phrase or dance that looks
like equitable partnership

Group 2: Create a short poem, haiku, rap, or other written piece that
demonstrates or describes the change we want to be and see.

Group 3: Create a short dramatic scene that shows more than one instance of
shared power.

Group 4: Create a visual art piece that has an aesthetic that includes both
justice and beauty.

At the end of 10 minutes, everyone solo create a short movement and phrase
that is the change we want to be and see.

Show the results, with the solos last.

Lead an open dialogue/exchange on:

*         What have we seen, felt, heard? What are we thinking?

*         How was it to have different group process roles? What are the
implications in terms of power, leadership development, & equity?

*         How do you feel now about your group members, as opposed to when
you came in? What caused the change?

*         What have we learned? What do we want to remember? What can we use
in our community? How do we need to modify it?

*         What questions do we have?

*         What do you do in your community work that is in a similar vein?

Look at handout and go over the principles and explain some of the things
written there.

Answer questions. What handout? coming soon.

Artsharing

Three or four people get two minutes each to share their work.

CAPP Nitty Gritty

Goals

To let people know about Community Artist Partnership Projects:

*         Who can apply for ROOTS funding

*         How to apply

*         What is a viable partnership

*         What a rockin CAPP project looks like

Ask who is already engaged with a community partner and hear from them.

 Ask everyone to take a blank sheet of paper and write down three

ideas for a partner for an imaginary (or maybe not imaginary) C/APP
proposal.

*                     Who would be the most obvious choice for you as a
community partner?

*                     What partner would be the easiest or most fun to
collaborate with?

*                     Can you think of a potential partner that would be a
real challenge to work with?

*                     Is there a potential partner that you might not have
thought of until someone

asked you if there is a potential partner you might not have thought of?

    Ask for 2 or 3 volunteers to read out loud what they've written and
explain briefly why they wrote down their choices.

Talk about CAPP.

Go over CAPP information.

Review application form.

Artsharing

Three or four people get two minutes each to share their work.

Lunch!

We can ask people to caucus in groups that have something similar that they
determine.  It could be people addressing similar issues, or people from the
same place, or people working in similar communities or. whatever they
identify. Or based on what was posted on the burning questions board-anyone
can say what they'd like to talk about and whoever wants to join up can do
so.

Artsharing

Three or four people get two minutes each to share their work.

Tools for Building Community and Making Art for Change

Goals

To model:

*         How to use art to address community race issues

*         Practical tools artists can use when working in communities

Sequence and Activities

Story Circle on Race, Racism, & Oppression, &/or Opposing Racism & Working
for Justice

Can we sing a song to start with?

Introduce the topic

Explain how a story circle works (Also here cite examples of orgs that have
successfully used story circles. Maybe like a case study of how and how
effectively the tool can work):

*         Everybody gets a chance to tell their story

*         Tell something that happened to you, from your experience, not
somebody else's story

*         Tell the deepest story you feel comfortable sharing here

*         Everybody gets 3 minutes (we have to check the math) we'll give a
signal at 3 minutes

*         Everybody's story is important

*         Listening is as important as telling-listen fully! No cross talk,
questions, or comments when somebody is telling

*         Avoid spending your precious listening time thinking about what
you will tell-tell what comes up at the moment your turn comes

*         You can pass if you're not ready when your turn comes; we'll come
back to you

*         If you have questions or comments, save them for the end

Brief conversation about what has come up in the stories. Think in terms of
snapshots, images, metaphors, connections, conflict.

Rounds with whole group

On any idea connected with the topic.

Rounds discussion

Break out and create art

"Find two or three people you haven't been with yet."

Assign roles

In ten minutes:

Create a performance or visual art piece of any type on one piece of the
topic.

Show them

Dialogue:

What have you heard, seen, felt, thought?

What questions came up for you?

What ideas do you have about what you saw?

How could you use these processes in your work?

What adjustments would you make?

What unanswered questions do you have?

Exchange or Go-Round

What do you do in your work that is effective for building community or
sparking transformation?

Next Steps

What are your/our next steps?

Affirmation Go-Round

What has someone (including yourself) said or done that you want to
acknowledge and affirm?

ArtSharing if there are any more who want to

Evaluation

What .?

Farewell

Considerations &

Set-up

Beat box with music

Or play music

Handouts

Paper on wall: "Burning Issues/Questions"

"Principles of Community Engagement"

"Resources"

Sign-in sheet

Refreshments:

Juice, coffee, fruit

Supplies:

Name tags

Markers

Flip chart & markers

Sticky notes & markers on tables

Art supplies

Tape

Bell for timer

Mention how sticky-note brainstorms can foster equity, start dialogue, and
map where you've been in the creative process.

What song can we sing; who can lead it?

What else do we need to say at the start?

Look at the Burning Issues/Questions and include them in the day!

How are we incorporating the principles of community partnership in this
workshop?

We may want to put up burning questions that arise, or just take notes on
flip chart of salient points.

Refer to handout page ____

Timer and bell

Refer to handout page ____

Timer and bell

Timer and Bell

This conversation is to get people ready to get up and do.

Are there better questions for here?

Take notes on "resources" page

I'm not sure how to evaluate-can we do it in terms of the Principles? or do
we ask, did you get what you want? Do we ask for written evals, or do it on
flipchart? Or in terms of stated goals?

JPEG image