[rollei_list] Re: was Tanks and Reels, now SL66

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:54:52 -0700

At 03:29 PM 8/22/2006 -0400, Craig Roberts wrote:

but switched back to an SL66. I love my old Rollei, but I really can't tell you why I like it so much better than the 503CX I had. What was your student's reasoning?

Thanks,

Craig

Her reasoning was a light bulb going off, in her head, after I showed her:

Macro out to 1:1 w/o any accessories.

Film backs take both 120 and 220 film.

Scheimpflug for DOF control.

All of which the Hasselblad cannot do. You can (and I did for years) carry an extra Hasselblad body - the FlexBody - for Scheimpflug. So my total weight is cut down considerably by not carrying both 120 and 220 backs, a FlexBody, and a plethora of extension tubes. The SL66 lenses are considerably lighter than the Hassy equivalents since there are no shutters, which makes the whole Rollei kit lighter than the equivalent Hasselblad kit. For TTL flash, I'll use my Hasselblad. But I don't use TTL flash but once in several years. My last use was in 2001.

Hasselblad, 45 deg finder, 90 deg finder, two 120 backs, two 220 backs, 16, 32, 56mm extension tubes, 50, 80, 150, 250 lenses, FlexBody, filters, shades.

=

Rollei SL66, 45 deg finder, 90 deg finder, two backs, 50, 80, 150, 250 lenses filters, shades.

Jim