[rollei_list] Re: ...was Avedon OT Time

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:08:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Dec 20, 2010, at 01:33 PM, CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Time definition for practical purposes allowed the Newton mechanics
and it allowed the Space travels, Einstein concept about time could
have some practical use some day but most of other ideas about time
are pure speculation and don't have practical applications, except for
literature and/or to do literature, from this point of view, _time is
a measurable sequence of light crossing the space that started some
day and will end some day being the universe the light that travels_.

Carlos

OK Folks:
In Citing the Wikipedia entry on time units, I was responding to this sentence:
"it's clear that even though there seems to be no scientific definition of
time" in a previous post, and offering as a counter example an operational definition of a unit of time.  I then went on to try and indicate that our understanding of time is quite similar to our understanding of space, and that all these concepts get quite blurred when we try to look at them too closely.
I also understand the ambiguity in the concept of time itself, which has been a preoccupation of philosophy. There is a nice article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy Here: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time/.  (I like the Stanford, it was recommended to me by two philosophers).
Much of philosophy appears to be to be a matter of operational linguistics, and much of how we see the world may well be public manifestations of the deep structure of our Brains. Kenneths contribution is fascinating here.
Einstein's special and general relativity, far from being purely abstract are used by millions of people every day, including, I would suspect members of this list.  Accurate Sat Nav. results depend on general relativistic corrections.
Finally Wikipedia. "That corrupt piece of Junk"...  Wikipedia is a Web 2 tool.  Using Web 2 tools requires a very different mindset from traditional sources. Just as Twitter is a great source of news, used by many newspapers, but is not a newspaper.
I could, and may say more later but I've got to do a run to the sea-scouts Christmas party.
Back later and looking forward to continuing this conversation.
All the best
Larry Cuffe
(Eric Sorry for the "Dr" in my earlier post, I try to keep work and pleasure emails separate, but my fingers slip at times)