[rollei_list] Re: "... the weak-sister abilities of an SLR" (was: OT / prove it !)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:38:59 -0500

On Thursday, March 31, 2005, at 09:12  PM, Austin Franklin wrote:

> Hi Ardeshir,
>
>> But note that with most lenses, the SLR user can also shoot with both
>> eyes open.
>
> Only if you turn the camera sideways, or don't mind one eye staring
> into the back of the camera.

Well, I for one can do it with my EOS Elan 7 quite easily, holding the
camera in the normal position. (I use my right eye to look through the
viewfinder and my left eye to view the whole scene.)

> The M has an offset viewfinder, that easily allows both eyes to be
> open in either camera position. I'm not saying this is an advantage or
> useful or not, just that I think what you said is not true. I have
> many SLRs, and none of them allow me to shoot with both eyes open

I don't know why you can't. As I said, I certainly can, and with no
difficulty, at that.

> ...and I'm not sure what the lense has to do with this
> ability/inability.

Not the lenses. But I was talking about the utility of the camera as a
whole (including the lens).

>> And as for photography in low light conditions, isn't that a function
>> of the lens, rather than of the camera? Canon has an f/1.0 lens for
>> its SLRs, which is as wide open as anything in the Leitz range.
>
> The issue is the rangefinder is easier to focus than an SLR in low
> light.

Yes, good point.

> BTW, only on the SLR does it depend on the lense as to how much light
> you see in the viewfinder, the rangefinder does not change viewfinder
> illumination based on the lense, as it does not look through the > lense.

Quite. You're right there. Here the rangefinder camera has a distinct
advantage.

>> BTW: What about the f/1.0 Noctilux? How does it compare?
>
> To what?

To the other lenses Marc mentioned.

Cheers.