[rollei_list] speaking of war photography

  • From: dpurdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 01:00:13 -0400 (EDT)

Did anyone else sit through all 14 or so hours of the recent Ken Burns
film on Public Broadcasting "War"?  I think that was the title.  Showing
WW2 through the eyes and memories of the common soldiers and their
families.

The photography was amazing.  As black and white real WW2 footage always
is.  It is hard to imagine what the photographers were going through and
still producing that work.  How they were able to get through the mud and
snow and water, crawling and running and hiding in holes.  How do you keep
the mud or rain or ocean out of your camera to change film with bullets
flying everywhere?

An amazing amount of movie footage as well in impossible circumstances.
Watching real WW2 stuff makes me fall in love with black and white
photography all over again.  Almost makes me want a leica.  But I will
stick with the more civilized Rollei.

dp