[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Wooden tripods

  • From: dpurdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:22:39 -0400 (EDT)

I have a Zone VI wooden tripod.  I used to use it for my 8x10 but on 3 or
4 occassions I have left the camera set up on the tripod at night and in
the morning found it collapsed on the floor with a broken wooden camera
that needs glueing back together.  It turns out that when you leave it set
up at night, one part or the other shrinks in the cold and the leg
extension quit holding.  I have a habit of tightening things only just
tight enough.

I am looking to get a Carbon Fiber tripod though I already have enough
tripods to open a used tripod store.  A large heavy duty Gitzo and a heavy
duty Bogen a small Rollei tripod and a Tiltall along with the zone VI and
a medium Gitzo for the 4x5.  I pretty much hate all of them except the
Bogen and the Rollei.

I was hoping the conversation would lead to lots of recommendations for
different Carbon Fiber tripods as I need to figure out what to get.  Just
for the Rollei,  that does not have twisting leg locks and does have a
center column and will go up to 6 feet and is sturdy and costs less than
300 dollars.

DP