[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Wooden tripods

  • From: dpurdy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

> The tightening on these Gitzos seem to work perfectly. Now I guess they're
> even better I've not tried this years models yet.
> Hate to say it but the best thing every happen to Gitzo is getting bought
> out by Manfrotto = Bogen. Nothing bogus about them.
> French engineering and design tweaked like crazy by the Italians.
> Perfection.
>
> I came to Portland right out of college with the idea of spending two
> years
> there. Next thing you know I'm living with a girl. That's what I mean when
> say things got out of hand.
> To Gitzos have evolved unbelievably.
> But I loved them when they were bad most mine were early 80's late 70's
> vintage. You had to figure out the tightening thingies there was a
> learning
> curve and I'm sure many people never figured it out having to bring them
> the camera store every few years to have Doug or somebody bail them out of
> fine bound up mess.
>
> Mark William Rabiner
> markrabiner.com

Well there always did seem to be an abundance of girls here and I am
pretty certain that is why I am still here.  Though my current girl is
pushing 50.

My Gitzos are from the early 80s and I have had to take a wrench to the
smaller one a time or two and it is pretty funny to think of the look on
Doug's face if I was to take it into him now.  He is still there at PPS
though I don't think having much fun and looking a little out of place now
that it is nearly all digital except one little shelf in the back.  I
asked one of the unending flow of newcomers if there was any Metol in the
store the other day and of course she had no idea what I was talking
about.