[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:32:27 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence Cuffe" <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:42 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

Other weird thing: cadmium.
Laurence Cuffe
I am not quite sure what properties cadmium adds to emulsions but it, or cadmium compounds, were added to both paper and film emulsions until the use of cadmium became too difficult due to environmental protection restrictions. Cadmium and mercury are generally considered dangerous to the environment. Cadmium was very widely used in industry for many decades, it was commonly used to plate metals to provide protection from oxidation and as a base for paint. Cadmium was also used in paints as a yellow pigment. I have heard that it was a component in warm tone emulsions and also that it had preservative action in emulsion lengthening the shelf life but I have no substantiation of either. While its possible to argue that the shelf life of film and paper which do not contain cadmium is shorter than those which do again I have no substantiation. If anyone ever tried to corner the market in cadmium its news to me.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA