[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 03:32:11 -0500

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM, David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I had a Minolta Zoom 110 SLR, maybe the best 110 camera ever made.
>> But I wouldn't call any of the pictures I took with it sharp. (snipped)
>
> They may well not have been. But if you search some of the finer 110
> cameras and this film format, you will see that it was capable of very
> sharp images. They just can't be enlarged past the normal 8 or so
> diameters. So now we are back to the original point... this was not
> where the format failed commercially, because almost no one enlarges
> past 4 x 6 (percentage-wise).
>
> I do remember 3-1/2 by 5 prints and how popular they were...
>

> Eric Goldstein
> ---

A 110  Kodak Pocket Instamatic camera is featured extensively in a hit movie
just out now from a hit book called Lovely Bones. A very good flic I saw it
last week Marky Mark plays the dad and really does ok.  But I wish she'd
been using a better camera. I'm sure its the first time most people watching
the film ever saw one as the format came out in 1972. 38 years ago.
Watergate break in.  Polaroid SX-70 system invented. M*A*S*H  goes on the
air.
It was  a 13 mm × 17 mm format
The Kodak Pocket Instamatic cameras looked like a plastic slightly inflated
Minox.
But Canon, Minolta, Minox, Pentax, Rollei, Voigtländer came out apparently
with some better ones as Eric says. I remember the Pentax. A micro SLR Great
for Barbie or Ken. Or someone with tiny fingers. Tiny.
It was widely thought the cartages themselves did not hold the film flat or
nicely enough for a quality result. And It was thought later that was
baloney.

And cute little slides would be projected in Pocket Carousel projectors.
Very cute projectors. But not going into any pockets. Nor did the projector
HAVE any pockets. The slides were like little Triscuits.
Someday somebody REALLY WILL invent a pocket slide projector; so instead of
showing sombody your wallet photos out of your wallet you'll  project your
family pictures on their chest.

http://www.frugalphotographer.com/cat110.htm

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner