[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:16:43 -0500

> emulsions. The difference is mostly in the way the silver
> nitrate is introduced to the emulsion. It may well require
> less silver but the thinner emulsions result in very much
> improved resolution and sharpness (not the same thing) as
> well as finer grain for a given speed. There are many other
> differences in the T-Max films which are probably not
> related to the crystal shape such as much better reciprocity
> characteristics than most other films.

At one point I'd been shooting a lots of the then Tri x (they keep changing
it) with my then new for me Leica M glass and then new for me Xtol 1:3.  it
was  May 1999.
I'd just driven the Lewis and Clark trail in ten days and shot 20 rolls of
tri x and had been contacting them and printing them.
There was a huge jump in the quality of images I was getting darkroom
11x14's for the most part
But I  had a gnawing feeling that I was not getting what I should be
getting. So I went back to the tab grain films  - Delta 400 at first. Maybe
even Tmax 400. The difference in apparent sharpness and clarity was
phenomenal. I never used tri  x again.
I'm sure you know Richard that the guy who invented tab grain technology won
a academy award for it. Amazing how the apparent non overlapping fields
really do overlap!.
I think he won it for finest grain film in a non musical.
I think they referred to it as "t-max technology".
Probably made for a jump in the ISO's the cinematographers were able to use
and just a jump in quality of the images they were making on the big silver
screen.
And all those guys talk about is what kind of "black" they are getting.

Mark William Rabiner