[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:02:54 -0600

When I was a kid, I had (still have) a Kodak "Brownie" Holiday Flash
camera, which uses size 127 film.  At the time, this was the most
popular film format,

But from a practical standpoint, the thing people could mess up was
the film loading.  Hence Kodak put a pre-loaded roll of film into a
cassette and 126 was born in 1963.

What size was the film inside the cassette?  Was it anything like 828?
 A similar size with the same kind of notching to determine correct
film advance?

126 was a great success.  The public loved it.  I got a 126 camera
under the Christmas tree.

Unfortunately, Kodak didn't bother with a mechanism to keep the film
flat in the cassette.  This prevented the format from being used for
more than just snapshots.

Kodak's introduction of 110 film in the early 1970s was, in
retrospect, short-sighted.  t allowed a smaller camera and saved Kodak
a lot of money on film manufacture, but the film was just too darned
small to yield a sharp picture.

If there was anything that established 35mm as a major consumer
format, it was the Canon AE-1, AE-1 Program and their ilk.