[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 01:01:53 -0500

> I remember the classic failure of the 110 format.  Kodak was, of
> course, trying to cut down on costs and smaller negatives meant less
> silver, which they hauled in by the pallet.
>
> I had, from time to time, some development projects with Kodak
> (commercial products) and remember seeing the prototype assembly line
> for their 110 camera.
>
> As we all know, the image quality just wasn't there.
>
> DAW

There was a silver scam scandal going on.  Two brothers from Texas.
Kodak needed to be using less silver. It was the late 70's.
It made for the perfect time despite a recession for a person to get started
in pro photography as the average person having gotten those cameras could
no longer produce a simple viable snapshot of their family to put in their
wallet let alone hang on their wall.
Remember that "silk" paper to break up the grain and make you try to forget
how fuzzy the pix were?

So people had to hire a photographer to get a shot of their family.
They couldn't do it themselves with their own camera.
If that camrea was a 110
Or "disk" camera format even more an insult to the user.
It was an all time low for photography.
The Canon sure shot saved it.
Huge 35mm film! Amazing!

Mark William Rabiner