[rollei_list] Re: new Zeiss Ikon- a hollow construct?

  • From: FRANK DERNIE <frank.dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:01:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jan,
All of the high quality large sensor digital cameras are very expensive. Here
in England the Leica M9 is less expensive than some and more than others. In
this context not out of step with their competition, if too expensive for most
customers. The we would all like to have less expensive quality but the reality
is that it is not available yet.
Really the least expensive top quality item, the Sony, is probably a loss
leader to get market share.
What is economic reality is the cost of these high end items by Hasselblad,
phase one, Canon, Nikon, Leica et al. Most people can not afford to use
equipment at this level.

What is probably a scandal is the price of film cameras. They have so little in
them either technology or componentry. I bet the ZI rangefinder has a -much-
bigger profit margin than the Leica M8 or M9.

All digital equipment has huge depreciation, be it computers, home theater or
cameras. This is really only a problem if you were investing, or have to have
the very latest thing. My daughter has my old 6 or 7 megapixel Canon dSLR and
gets great results, despite it being worth little to sell. Would she get better
results on prints A4 from the latest 7D? The fact is, not much.

Frank Dernie

<This is what's happening with the current Leica S2 and M9 gear. The prices are
completely out of step with economic  realities.  Right now on the Leica Users
Group, there is so much ridiculous reasoning to justify buying the $7000 M9
body hat I had to turn the digest off.   This, after everybody just got over
buying the already overpriced  M8 - now worth less than half its new price!>