[rollei_list] Re: "different types of black boxes" (was: OT / prove it !)

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:24:24 -0400

At 07:48 PM 4/3/05 -0500, John A. Lind wrote:
>the 1 second speed is dead on as best I can measure=20
>it

John

Calumet sells a relatively inexpensive digital shutter tester.  Mine shows
that my Contax cameras generally crank out around 1/900" at that top
setting.  The Soviets were sticklers for accuracy (they were offended to
learn that the actual focal length, for instance of the 5cm Sonnars was
51.5mm) and rebranded the final runs of the Kiev RF as having a top end of
1/1000".

It is generally accepted that the Rolleiflex 1/400"and 1/500" top ends were
rather accurate but you will find little support for claiming that either
the Leitz 1/1000" or the Contax 1/1250" were close to their intended goal.
Thank heavens for the 1/3 stop slop in chromes, the 2-stop slop in colour
negative materials, and the 3-stop slop in schwarz-weiss films.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!