[rollei_list] Re: "different types of black boxes" (was: OT / prove it !)

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:15:03 -0400

At 05:00 PM 4/3/05 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>  I think you are assuming something that is not backed up=20
>by the evidence. I think the main reason Zeiss-Ikon used the=20
>Contax type shutter is that they had the design.=20

Richard=20

Emmanuel Goldberg designed the ur-Contax RF shutter.  (He was Jewish and
Zeiss Ikon shunted him off to France after the Nazis took control and, when
the Germans conquered France, arranged to have him shipped off to Palestine
with a nice stipend.  The Zeiss Foundation did not treat Goldberg or Ernst
Wandersleb as kindly as they probably should have done, but, at the least,
the Foundation rose above the sort of treatment being accorded most Jews in
that era in Germany and in Europe.  Faint praise, in the end, is better
than none.)  I do not believe that there is a whole lot of shared design
theory between the Mirotar's shutter and that on the Contax.

K=FCppenbender, the ultimate Zeiss wheeler-dealer and, arguably, the only
senior official of Zeiss to ever understand market dynamics, simply
inherited the Goldberg shutter and kept it in place with modifications from
1932 until 1960.  You are absolutely correct to ponit out that, in 1932,
1/500" was a decent top speed -- most Compur shutters of the era only
topped out at 1/250". =20

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!