[rollei_list] Re: another Epson scan

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:00:04 -0400

Richard Knoppow wrote:

We have been replacing tube monitors with solid state monitors at work. They are simply not up to CRT quality. They will do for not very critical monitoring but would never be suitable for any sort of graphics work or for painting cameras or doing film transfers. On top of this comes an announcement by Sony that they will stop making Trinitrons soon. If that's true I don't know what they are going to offer to replace Class A and Class B broadcast monitors. On top of this the new plasma displays burn faster than tubes. We have to go around turning them off in unused control rooms. New technology is not always better.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We have discussed this a few times on the list and in spite of our best efforts, there are those who will doggedly maintain otherwise. I now have in my possession several very nice graphics-grade 20+" CRT monitors in beautiful condition that were given to me by users who "upgraded" to new technology... I'm all for it!

OTOH the difference in power consumption for a mid-to-large size office can be quite significant...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List