[rollei_list] Re: another Epson scan

  • From: chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 23:22:02 +0100

really that bad?

On 8/6/06, Peter K. <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You had a crummy LCD monitor. The ones in laptops are for text not graphics.

On 8/5/06, chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx <chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > This was brought home to me in a practical way when I was cleaning up a > scan of a Black and white negative taken in the Swiss Alps (ie lots of > snow). Looked fine on my laptop and rushed out to get 5 prints from the > local frontier shop to discover that most of the snow field scenes > were ruined by dust spots. I reluctantly dragged my behemoth CRT back out of > its cave and sure enough the dust spots popped up like beacons. > Chat > > > On 8/4/06, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote: > > > > At 10:45 AM 8/4/2006 -0400, Craig wrote: > > > > Another Epson 4990 scan of a Rolleiflex 2.8E Xenotar transparency > > (Fuji Velvia 100): > > > > www.aerialacts.com/gnome.jpg > > > > Craig Roberts > > Washington, DC > > > > > > Don't know about anyone else, but although I really enjoy my solid > > state display (an inexpensive one), it really doesn't have the contrast > > ratio or rich color my CRT had. When I view that shot on my monitor there > > is a lot of detail which vanishes in the dark sections. > > > > Does anyone else have this same experience or am I just dealing with a > > cheap display? > > > > I can still get good prints (say "family quality") with my > > scanner-printer combination, but when I really want something nice I send it > > out. > > > > > > Don Williams > > La Jolla, CA > > > > > >

-- Peter K Ó¿Õ¬