[rollei_list] Re: Zeiss SLRs

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:57:08 -0400

At 07:29 PM 5/26/05 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   I don't know why the Germans, or the US for that matter,=20
>fell down so badly about SLR cameras, both 35mm and MF.=20
>After all the first 35mm SLR is the venerable Exakta. Its=20
>just that the Japanese were the only ones to see the=20
>potential market of a really well designed SLR camera.=20

I will dissent a bit by point out that the Contax S was the first
mass-produced 35mm SLR of real quality;  Herb Keppler frequently comments
that it was his acquisition of one such that converted him, in his early
pro days, to 35mm work.  And the Praktina was a magnificent camera and a
magnificent system which was even more of a financial bleeder for the East
Germans than the Contarex was to the West Germans.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505