[rollei_list] Re: Xenar 3.5/75 and Velvia 100

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:06:57 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Zak" <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 11:50 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Xenar 3.5/75 and Velvia 100

Ecellent photographs. I especially like the one of "Otello."

My experience with Rollei Xenar is that it delivers a very slightly blue cast with slide films. An H1 filter can help, but results are tolerable without. With color negative films, the filter is not at all necessary.

Allen Zak

The H-1 is a UV filter. Color films can be sensitive to near UV. This is mostly a problem when shooting at high altitudes where there is not enough UV absorption in the atmosphere to keep it from registering on the film. Many modern films have some built-in UV filtering.
The ability of a lens to transmit UV depends on the glass used in its construction and on the cement if it has cemented surfaces. Many modern optical glasses cut off on the blue side just above the visible range, in effect, they are UV filters. Some optical cements are the same. It is also possible for a lens to have a built-in filter in the form of the lens coating but I am unaware of this practice for photographic lenses.
In tungsten light or in low altitude daylight there is not enough UV to cause a problem.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx