[rollei_list] Re: What good is a model release now?

Hi Eric,

> Compensation in this instance is completely dependent upon use;
> that is the convention of the industry. If the use was not as
> agreed, then the payment was not appropriate.

And...you, nor I, know what was agreed upon or not agreed upon.

> In terms of whether the mistake was honest or not, based on what
> I have read/heard there is a legitamate claim here. Many honest
> mistakes/accidents happen which cause people and entities loss or
> harm, and they are entitled to recover.

Aside from the actual compensation, punitive damages take into consider the
level of negligence.  And again, without knowing what the actual facts of
the case are, everything is simply speculation.  Of what I have seen
published about this case, there was no maliciousness, or gross negligence.
Gross negligence, is typically knowing something is wrong and ignoring it.
Negligence is simply not knowing something that you "probably" should have
reasonably known.  In this case, someone apparently believed that they had
rights to use the image, when perhaps they did not (and we don't know).  The
negligence in this case appears that someone clerically didn't check
physically what the actual agreements were or were not before using the
image.  Someone may have simply misfiled the image into the "we own these
images" bin.

It's cases like this that make tort reform necessary.  I'm for the guy
getting compensated fairly, and for *possibly* some level of punitive
damages, depending on the circumstances of the case, but as I said, a $15M
award is, by any sense of reason, absurd.  They guy just posed for a
picture, and was paid.  No one lost a life, and nothing egregious happened
to him or anyone else as a result of this.  At worst, he simply wasn't
compensated fairly...and keep in mind, they offered to pay him, plus quite a
bit more then he could have ever been paid for this ($100k) when this was
brought to their attention.

Regards,

Austin