[rollei_list] Re: What good is a model release now?

Hi all,

Recently, Austin wrote:

> But, without having more details of the case, it's hard to draw a
> conclusion.  But, I hope he gets *some* money, but not anywhere near
> 15 friggin million.
>
> Austin

The only "details" that I am aware of are that 1) the model was paid for a
shoot, but the terms of the release were not commented on. 2) The photo
was of him "tasting" a cup of some liquid (as it appears on the label),
and the original shoot was performed by Nestle (so, the possibility that
there was an oversight exists). 3) The model was offered compensation well
beyond what he would have earned for a "dedicated" shoot.

However, my question was not so much about whether the model was entitled
to a little or a lot of money, but whether "standard" release forms are
worth the paper they're written on when it comes to stock photographs?
There have certainly been many cases where photos were used with no
recourse by the models, which makes this case seem quite odd by
comparison. Is there a release form that would cover all possible uses in
perpetuity and would it stand up to such a challenge anyway?

Regards,

Neil Gould
      Terra Tu AV - www.terratu.com
      Technical Graphics & Media