[rollei_list] Re: Weston Master III Checked Against Minolta IIIF

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:09:44 -0700

At 03:10 PM 5/2/2005, you wrote:
>Hm.  For about the same period of time I met quite a few.  Press
>photogs usually had them in their Speed Graphic kits, although it could
>have been anything because meters were seldom used.  Most of the
>landscapers, especially the zonies, toted them, and the "art"
>photographers would sooner go forth without their pants than their
>custom dial Westons. The ubiquity of Westons, at least into the
>mid-1970s, persuaded me to buy a Master V, which I used for several
>years.  In my opinion it was an okay meter, but when it gave out I
>didn't replace it.  OTOH, I continued to use a Sekonic Studio and a
>Luna Pro, my exposure security blankets from almost the start.  My
>actual first meter was a 1954 GE PR1, which I still own and remains
>accurate.
>
>Allen Zak
Interesting.  I have a GE Model 8DW58Y4 which could be a PR1 but I'm not
sure.  It has a removable hood which makes it an incident light
meter.  With the hood on, the front flap, which has slots in it, can be
opened to give two reflected light settings for the circular calculator on
top of the hood.  In incident mode the calibration is in Foot
Candles.  With the hood on, the meter is calibrated for use with the
"American Standard Speed Number".  In any case that was the only meter I
had for many years and it seems to be as accurate as any I have acquired
since then.

DAW

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA