[rollei_list] Re: Weston Master III Checked Against Minolta IIIF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 9:15 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Weston Master III Checked Against
Minolta IIIF

> My Weston Master III came back from QLM three days ago and
> with the
> Inver-Cone attached it matches my Minolta IIIF perfectly.
> The Weston is a
> beautiful meter, but the Minolta is infinitely easier to
> use with both
> analog and digital display large enough to go easy on my
> old tired eyes.
>
> Doug

   I am not surpized. The Weston Master III was calibrated
in ASA-ISO speeds and QLM may also have installed a neutral
density filter to get it on the nose. My concern is with old
Weston meters calibrated in Weston speeds.
   BTW, because the Weston Master has two overlaping ranges
its easy to test the cell for condition. Find a source that
will read near the top of one range and near the bottom of
the other. On my Master II a reading of around 25 to 50 is
right. The reading should be the same on both ranges within
a very small amount. When the cell has become damaged the
reading near the high end of the scale (low range) will be
low by about a stop. This error can not be corrected by
changing the film speed because it is not constant but
increases with the output of the cell.

Los Angeles, CA, USA