[rollei_list] Re: WARNING about Dr. Mark Meijer c/o Global RolleiClub

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:17:54 -0700

If you would both take the emotion out of this, you will find you are both
right. The definition from MS Encarta is as follows:
 Lynching, hanging or other types of executions, in punishment of a presumed
criminal offense, carried out by self-appointed commissions or mobs, without
due process of law. The term lynching is generally believed to be derived
from the name of a Virginia justice of the peace, Charles Lynch, who ordered
extralegal punishment for Tory acts during the American Revolution
(1775-1783). Frontier settlements in the United States often lacked
established law enforcement agencies and, instead, exercised summary justice
through vigilantes. Western pioneers punished murder, rape, horse thievery,
and other capital crimes by resorting to lynching.

Even before the American Civil War (1861-1865), many lynchings took place in
Southern states. The violence was usually directed at members of the
abolitionist movement or others who worked to end the system of slavery.
After the war lynching became a method of terrorism against black people in
the South.

Microsoft (r) Encarta (r) Reference Library 2005. (c) 1993-2004 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights reserved.

 On 10/18/05, Ruddy Roye <leicauser503@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lynching became an American pastime because hundreds of Black Folks
> found their necks stretched on the weekend way after Col. Charles Lynch
> had died and buried. Many of the people in this country do not know
> about Col Lynch and his band of lawmakers. Actually if you ask a black
> person who Col. Charles Lynch is he might be a little hard pressed to
> say who he was. But mention lynching they might be able to tell you
> that someone in their family was hanged.
> And that was not MOB RULE
> On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:00 PM, Bob Shell wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday, October 18, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Ruddy Roye wrote:
> >
> >> Since I am very new with a lot of emphasis on the very new part, I
> >> would ask that allusions to something as vile to black folks as
> >> lynching should be sensitively used on a blog as open as this one.
> >> Just saying. No offense towards you Doug--just asking
> >>

> > "Vigilantism, or summary justice, has a long history, but the term
> > lynch law originated during the American Revolution with Col. Charles
> > Lynch and his Virginia associates, who responded to unsettled times by
> > making their own rules for confronting Tories and criminal elements.
> > "Lynching" found an easy acceptance as the nation expanded. Raw
> > frontier conditions encouraged swift punishment for real, imagined, or
> > anticipated criminal behavior. Historically, social control has been
> > an essential aspect of mob rule."
> >
> > ---
> > Rollei List
> >
> > - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in
> > the subject field OR by logging into
> > www.freelists.org<//www.freelists.org>

> > in the subject field OR by logging into
> > www.freelists.org<//www.freelists.org>

> www.royephotography.com <http://www.royephotography.com>
> Portrait and Editorial Photographer

> www.freelists.org<//www.freelists.org>

> 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org<//www.freelists.org>

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬