[rollei_list] Re: Vastly OT: Kippered Herring

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 05:29:12 +0100

Black pudding is made from blood and small pieces of fat well seasoned. Very tasty.
Kippers vary a great deal. Some are almost too salty to eat IME, the finest ones I have eaten come from Craster on the NE coast - I don't know if they still make them there. We had some really excellent kippers at Loch Fyne over the summer which are prepared locally. If they are good ones I prefer them grilled.
BTW I have never heard of kippers being served as part of a full English.
all the best,
Frank

On 12 Oct, 2006, at 01:28, Marc James Small wrote:

At 07:57 PM 10/11/2006, you wrote:
Marc,

When I worked in Lancashire, the chef at the posh Oaks
Hotel where I lived, would soak the kippers in milk, overnight
to reduce the salt content.  They were superb as part of a
Full  English Breakfast.

Ever had Black Pudding as part of breakfast?

Yes, I have. Unrefined Chittlin's is what it is, and I've eaten chittlin's for decades. We in the US Southlands prefer to drain the blood before eating them, though.

Real kippers are not all that salty nor do they have a pronounced fishy smell. Hot-smoked "smoked herring" have both a lot of salt and a lot of fishy taste to them. All that is necessary for real kippers is to cook them in a water bath with some butter and lemon juice -- let it boil, insert the kipper, and reduce to a simmer. Give it a minute or two, and Bob's your uncle.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

--- Rollei List