[rollei_list] Re: VERY OT: Lucas Electrical Systems

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:49:58 +0000

As is often the case, manufacturers have a range of products at different price points. The cheap stuff (probably chosen by VW) was probably nowhere near as good as the stuff specified by Porsche and Mercedes.

FD

On 29 Oct, 2009, at 18:19, Marc James Small wrote:

At 02:52 PM 10/29/2009, Austin Franklin wrote:

>Why would you suspect that? I worked on many pre-60's Mercedes including >the 180/190, 220 and 300 series (and owned a 300d pillarless amongst others)
>during the mid to late 70's and into the 80's.  Mercedes was a car I
>specialized in, and probably work on more of than any other car.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions, Austin. In foreign-car circles, Bosch electrics are generally viewed as junk until production shifted to Mexico in the early 1960's. Maybe Mercedes got prime gear. The electrics are the huge problem with early VW's. Unreliable as hell. I still carry a full set of tools in my Audi: had to help a guy get a '59 Bus started a month back. Junk electrics.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!