[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:18:43 +0100

Not really of high quality to start with, but I experimented with my Rollei
110 camera - using 110 cartridges. The initial sharpness was poor,
especially noticeable with such a small negative. My feeling was that the
Tessar lens should have been sharp.

I measured the distance of cartridge location to the film gate in the camera
and compared that to the depth that the film was seated in the cartridge.
There was a lot of 'play'. I found a thin piece of acetate, cut it to shape
and inserted it between the paper backing and the cartridge back thereby
pushing the emulsion in contact with the film gate - the negative sharpness
improved to a very acceptable level. I was surprised that such a small frame
could produce 10x8 enlargements - apart from the grain.

This is obviously a problem with 110 (or probably 126 also) cartridge
manufacturing tolerances when matched to camera manufacturers' tolerances.

I had a Pentax 110 which did produce sharp images and also a Kodak 110
'plastic camera', which also produced acceptable prints; but a 'family' Disk
camera was REALLY C**P!

John