[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 14:57:48 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Deutschmann" <frank.deutschmann@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:02 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

Richard brings up something I never understood: why do sheetfilm cameras reference the back of the film? Seems to me making the film substrate an exact thickness with near zero variation batch to batch is asking a lot from film manufacture! Always seemed to make more sense to me to reference the emulsion side against the rails, which is what I assumed all rollfilm (35mm and mf) cameras do; I assumed the plate was just there for moderate support. But then on more reflection, that can't be right either, as no plate would really be needed, just backing pressure at the rails. Curious.

-frank (mobile: +1 203 962 3834)

I think the reason is that its a lot easier to do it this way. The film is really not pushed against the back of the holder, its just held in place at the edges. On most holders the flap pushes against the film but that is only at one end. I don't know how one would locate the film at the emulsion side without a glass plate. The support thicknes is controlled very accurately, at least by Kodak. There is an ISO standard on the thickness. However, some films came on thinner support, I think Technical Pan did. Some recommended putting thin black paper under the film to adjust for the difference. Most sheet film is 0.007 inches in thickness, the emulsion thickness doesn't really matter and is much thinner. Some special purpose cameras like aerial mapping cameras did use glass plates to locate the film but these all have all sorts of problems with dirt and scratching the film when its transported. Other cameras used vacuum backs but those also locate the film from the back. In an aerial mapping camera or in some scientific applications, where one wants the ultimate in resolution a glass plate or a vacuume back is justified but not in general photography. Using a pressure plate is somewhat misleading since it can not put pressure on the center of the film, only the edges, unless used with a glass plate. The film can still bulge. Note also that a plane glass plate is not without optical effects unless the light passing through it is absolutely planar. If the light goes through at an angle a plane glass will introduce both spherical aberration and chromatic aberration. Note that in a camera the light from the lens to the film is _always_ coming from an angle except at the exact center. Probably the effect of a very thin glass is negligible but for some very precise uses it has to be calculated.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles