[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:38:02 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:29 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

2011/8/18 Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>:
At 10:01 AM 8/18/2011, Alan wrote, in part:
I remember something about a glass accessory plate for the Rollei. Did that
go in front of or behind the film?

My recollection is that it went in front because I had some concerns about
scratching the film. Never saw one, though.

Most Rolleiflex TLR cameras (except the T) made from 1960 to 1966 were prepared to receive a glass plate or "Planglass" to assure film flatness when film was in the film plane position, the glass was placed in front of the film and it required a dedicated camera back with a third position for the film pressure plate. Some tests demonstrated there was no significant or visible image quality improvement even for big enlargements sizes, the glass use had problems with dust and humidity and fingers marks recquiring often cleaning and then Rollei no longer manufactured it from 1966.

The Rollei SL 66 "bible" advises -if possible- to advance the film only a few seconds before to shoot the camera, this way the film paper back has no time to modify the film flatness on the film plane. The 220 film has no paper back and then it avoids this problem. Some Carl Zeiss tests showed a significant sharpness difference for 120 and 220 film (220 film was better) due to the 120 film paper back action on
the film strip.

I have never been completely satisfied with my understanding of how the film is located in either roll film or 35mm cameras. In both the Rollei and my Leica and Nikon the film runs in a channel between the guide rails. The channel is just thick enough to accomodate the film (or film and backing paper for roll film). The back plate does _not_ apply pressure to the film despite its often being called a pressure plate. In Rollei cameras with back plates which are adjustable for the Rolleikin attachment the distance of the plate from the film gate is changed making the channel narrower for 35mm film. It seems to me that the film plane must be established by the back plate and that the film is supposed to relax against it rather than being tensioned against the front of the film gate. Despite this the focus adjustment is usually made by inserting a ground glass located by the gate. The difference is exteremely small. I don't have the instruments to measure it. I suspect it would be done on a camera with the lens removed and using a precision depth micrometer or optical depth micrometer. The factory evidently used an auto-collimator with a plane mirror that fitted against the inside of the film gate, again using the gate to determine the film plane but I am not sure this is how things work in practice. There are cameras that have actual pressure plates; many motion picture cameras work that way, but I think few still cameras. Sheet film cameras definitely use the back of the film holder to establish the film plane.

Something else: I discovered that some Rollei lenses, certainly the Tessar types, have some focus shift. Not a lot but there will still be some change in the precise point of best focus as the lens is stopped down from maximum aperture. I think this is mostly masked by depth of focus as its stopped down. This is a problem with any camera which focuses by means other than direct observation of the image. Since most SLR cameras focus with the lens wide open and stop it down for the exposure they are vulnerable to the same error.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA