[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:01:30 -0400

So far, all advice on the OP's sharpness issue has to do with how to reduce camera motion, but another factor might be involved.

Several years ago, I was photographing a highly detailed and textured scene with an MX-EVS mounted on a Gitzo medium weight tripod with an appropriate pan head, additionally stabilized with my camera bag suspended from the platform, lens @ f11, shutter speed 1/250 sec. On two successive exposures, frames #11 and 12, the first was "Rollei sharp," that is, good as it gets, one of those negatives that re-confirms the mystique of the marque, while the second was "okay," but clearly not equal to the former. That led to trials with my 3.5F, generating similar results on 2 exposures out of 6 rolls dedicated to the project.

Looking for answers to these anomalies is what first brought me to the Rollei list (1997), where I subsequently learned that sometimes i20 film goes wandering in the focal plane. Why and under what circumstances I still don't understand. Ever since, when time and opportunity allow, I always make two exposures of a subject when I need critical sharpness. Usually, both are good, but sometimes not.

Allen Zak