[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:09:19 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:52 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

At 12:46 AM 8/17/2011, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    I've had generally good luck hand-holding Rolleis. You
>can find ways of bracing it with your body or against some
>object when using very slow shutter speeds.

I suspect that Richard is not a rifleman.  A
trained shooter uses the strap to brace the rifle
against the body to provide a solid grip and the
same trick works for cameras, as another poster
noted.  Put the camera's strap over the neck and
pull the camera away from the body until a rigid position is found.

Marc

Well, its been a very long time since I did any shooting but I was brought up with a rifle (.22 cal but still a rifle) and taught to shoot early. I've also done pistol shooting. My ability depends mainly on how good my glasses are; if I can see well I can shoot well. I do know how to use a rifle sling as a brace. I use the same technique with Rollei TLR's, its described in some of the instruction books. It does help with general steadiness. However, for really slow exposures (1 second for instance) it helps to brace the camera on some object if possible. Because of the flat surfaces on the Rollei its fairly easy to brace. I find the layout of the Rolleicord and Old Standard type Rolleiflex's help to prevent them moving when tripping the shutter. Both have a combination cocking and tripping lever under the shutter worked with a finger in such a way as to apply the force against the ball of the palm. In the Rolleiflex's with push buttons another method of holding helps. I use a grip similar to that for the Hasselblad where the camera sits on the left palm and the index finger reaches around to the button. The force on the button is then against the ball of the thumb as in the Rolleicord arrangement so that one can trip the shutter without moving the camera. I've also seen pictures of Herr Heidecke using his right thumb. That also works if your hands are big enough, mine are not. Where the camera has a sports finder its also possible to hold it upside down and brace it against your forehead. Looks funny but works. BTW, the reason the old Stereo-Realist cameras look slightly odd is that they were intended to be held this way.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles