[rollei_list] Re: Tripod versus Handheld

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:26:56 EDT

Hi Eric,
of course, you are correct, there are times, in fact, that  sharpness is
not even desired. I was, in fact, speaking in the context of the  'thread',
which I understood to be about sharpness 'with and without' a  tripod.

Thanks for helping me clarify my point.

Regards,
Charlie

In a message dated 8/17/2011 12:44:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
egoldste@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi  Charlie -

I'm going to challenge the idea that the sharpest image is  the same
thing as the "highest possible quality"...

Sometimes it is,  sometimes it ain't. It all depends on the
requirements of the project and  the desires of the creatives involved
with fulfilling it...

Eric  Goldstein

--

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM,   <Newhouse230@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'll take the minority opinion on  this issue.
>
> Whether to use, or not to use a tripod ( with  ANY camera) is, for me,
> determined by whether the highest  possible quality is desired or whether
the
> ability to move positions  quickly, or remain somewhat inconspicuous, or
> travel 'light'  is MOST important.
>     Even the most minute  shake or tremble has 'some' effect on sharpness.
> Whether a given  degree or degradation of the image is acceptable depends
on
> many  variables including the final size of the print, whether it's for
>  ''family history' or for publication.   (In a fine  magazine?   a
> newspaper?)   and many other  factors.   Is the subject a landscape that's
> dependent on  resolving every fine detail....or a portrait of the family
> matriarch,  for which a bit of softness may not be a bad thing?
>
>  If you can't get a sharp handheld shot at 1/10  second, then you really
> can't get one at 1/50 either....you're just  diminishing the area of blur
> what you consider an acceptable  size.
>
>    Bottom line:   there is no  one 'right' answer. Whether to use a
tripod or
> not depends on  many factors.
>

> regards to all.,
> Charlie  Silverman
>

> =

- Post to  rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Subscribe at  rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'
in the subject field OR  by logging into www.freelists.org

- Online, searchable archives are  available  at