[rollei_list] Re: Traveling with Rollei

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 12:29:24 -0400

I had three cameras with me a couple of years ago. The security man saw them on the radar and asked me about the cameras and we ended up speaking for a long time about photography.

This was in Frankfut at a slow time of day. I don't mind any security checks. I use fast film and fry to have my work developed by a competent lab when I'm away so that I don't ahve to take undeveloped rolls through security. I prefer, however, to develop the film myself when i can.

Doug

On Jun 10, 2006, at 5:43 AM, Michiel Fokkema wrote:

Peter K. wrote:
Anyone traveling with film these days through Europe? How are the various airports? Stricy with xrays? I have some concerns as I am traveling again and want to take my Rolleis. Athens, Rome, Frankfurt, Heathrow? Comments?

Hi,

First of all you can buy film in Europe.
At every airport you will pass a X-ray. But these shouldn't affect film with iso's below 1600.
Once I had delta 3200 with me and these were checked in some other way at my request. I'm not sure if this can be done at all the airports.
I've never seen any degradation of any of my films even after passing several x-ray's.
The rules seem to be different at different airports. Mostly my camera's are left alone. Once at City airport in London I had to open the camera's and remove the film because they wanted to see inside. This makes sense because you can easily hide explosives in a camera especially in a Rollei. But it only happened once and the rolls of film were almost full anyhow.
In general the security people are very friendly and try to keep the inconvenience as low as possible. But then I don't look very suspicious either. I'm not sure what will happen if dress up as a Muslim.

In my experience there is no problem travelling with film if you keep the iso's under 1600.

Best regards and have a nice trip,

Michiel Fokkema

--- Rollei List