[rollei_list] Re: Thinking about buying a Rollei

  • From: David Dodge <dannysoar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 21:16:15 -0400

Richard & Stephen. Thanx for the help. I'm afraid it was all for naught. I was in the camera store today and there in the glass case was a mint Yashicamat with a 30 day guarentee. . If it turns out to need service, I'll take it back and the camera store will send it to be serviced.. My heart said ancient eBay Rollei and my head said 30 day guarenteeYashica. My head won.

Thanx any way for enlightening me on the lore of Rollei Automats - maybe someday.
David

Stephen Attaway wrote:

David:

I had an Automat for a number of years. Sorry I sold it. The only issue with the camera was the blue cast my photos got at high altitudes. I should have bought a uv filter rather than trading up the camera.

The old Tessars and Xenars did not have uv filtering built in, like the newer Planar and Xenotar. You need to use a uv filter with them at higher elevations or the film gets a blue cast from the uv (ultraviolet) light up there. You can still buy new bay i uv filters from b&h in New York.

Apart from needing a uv filter, the Tessar and Xenar are both excellent lenses with beautiful 'bokeh'.

Do keep in mind that almost any Rolleiflex you buy will need an expensive service and a brightscreen makes a huge difference in the usability of these cameras.

Stephen

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Dodge" <dannysoar@xxxxxxx>