[rollei_list] Re: Thinking about buying a Rollei

Despite the Rolleiflex Standard had a coupled
mechanism to advance the film and to cock the shutter
used like basis for the "Automat" mechanism, this was
a primitive mechanism with the red window and without
film frames counter automatic reset to zero. The 1937
Automat was a complete development, the Standard film
advance mechanism was improved in depth and also the
automatic film sensor mechanism to advance the film to
frame 1 was incorporated, Rollei called the camera
"Automat" for the new development as a whole and the
name was replaced for letters names "A,B,C,D,E,F" for
internal and commercial use despite the name "Automat"
also was used for the firsts models with letters. The
film sensor mechanism to advance the film to number
one was eliminated in the GX because during the GX
development some films in production at the time were
thin too much to be detected by the film sensor
rollers, it would require for the user to calibrate
the rollers according the film in use; however the GX
camera maintained other features from the "Automat"
film transport and cocking shutter coupled mechanism
and then it is closer to the 1937 Automat than to the
previous Standard model.

All the best
Carlos

 --- Jeffery Smith <jls@xxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Actually, Automat was the name Rollei used for all
> of its
> Rolleiflexes that detected the beginning of the roll
> of film (so you
> didn't have to line up arrows). They shouldn't have
> been the cheaper
> Rolleis. The GX is not an automat, but most of the
> other post WWII
> Rolleiflexes were.
>
> At 09:14 AM 9/18/2006, you wrote:
> >I'm with everyone about the gears. I have a Mamiya
> 220 and a
> >Flexaret with lens scratches, and they both are
> more pleasent to
> >wind. What made me buy the Yashica was the
> condition and the seller
> >standing behind it.
> >Sometimes I regret being practical.
> >
> >I never did find out why the Automats were so much
> cheaper than the
> >other Rolleis.
> >David

> with 'subscribe'