[rollei_list] Re: Spinning front taking lens and postings

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:07:26 -0500

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Eric and Richard,

I never said that it was a Goerz Hypergon.  I picked up this bubble-
like lens from a GI returning from WW2, in 1945.  Among the
goodies I got from him besides this lens was a few Walther pistols.

When I took the lens to my High School Photography instructor,
he thought for a while that it was a Radiometer, but then saw the
pneumatic tube and bulb that made the "star" spin.  If our member
Les Clark was in the Bx. H S of Science Camera Club in 1946,
he probably saw it when I brought it in to show.

I have read descriptions of this lens many years ago. Kingslake
spoke of it at a symposium over 50 years ago.

Jerry

Yes, yes. I speculated that it might be, but your description of the star being internal rules that out. There are Hypergons with external stars, and Hypergons without stars, but none that I know of with internal ones.

So now you have us curious... what lens was this? And did the Walthers give a better pattern in the corners?

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List