[rollei_list] Re: Sniping on eBay

  • From: FRANK DERNIE <frank.dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:10:11 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,=0AIf I am shopping for secondhand items I know no way of finding a bigg=
er choice than ebay. I decide how much I am prepared to pay for an item and=
 bid in the last 15 seconds. If, when I log onto the item just before the e=
nd, the price is higher than I wish to pay I don't bid. Using this strategy=
, which I think is very common, I have never been tempted to pay too much f=
or something and I have only been outbid by somebody willing to pay more th=
an I am. This seems very simple and painless to me.=0AThe only items I have=
 missed out on are auctions which finish when I am travelling, which happen=
s disappointingly often. Several times the only time an infrequently offere=
d item has been sold at a price I was prepared to pay it was to somebody el=
se whilst I was travelling. Maybe I should use sniping software too.=0AI ne=
ver buy new items from ebay traders as they are usually available cheaper f=
rom normal internet merchants.=0AFrank=0A=0APeter J Nebergall <iusar4s@juno=
.com> wrote:=0A=0A> This highlights an important issue.  Ebay is not a purc=
hase, it is a=0A> sporting event.  It is about winning and losing.  If I ne=
ed a specific=0A> item I need the item.  Machismo, andrismos, need not ente=
r in.  I will=0A> go find the item from a seller who will deal with me, and=
 I will walk out=0A> of the store with it in my hand and get back to work. =
 It is a tool, not=0A> a trophy.=0A> Ebay is splendid, if you wish to "shop=
 victoriously," as their current ad=0A> proclaims.  If you are seeking a to=
ol, asap, forget it.  "Maybe" is not=0A> part of my toolkit.=0A>=0A> P.J. N=
ebergall