[rollei_list] Re: Scanning

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:37:52 -0400

Gram et al.,

I have wondered the same for color print from 120 rolls from my Rollei.  I have
never gotten satisfactory B&W pictures back from a lab so have always done my
own developing, printing & scanning for B&W.

The 5x5 120 color negative proof prints I get back from the labs nowadays are
definitely inferior to the ones I used to get back from labs prior to the
digital age. I do believe the quick scans they do at least for proofs are not
as good as the traditional enlarger ("optical & wet" machine) prints of days
gone by.

I have even toyed with the idea of trying to find a used specimen of the
smallest traditional C41 color processing machine that can also handle 120 and
than offering the printing service to other "luddites" online.  But I was told
I might run into al kinds of new environmental regulations...

I agree with Marc that it's nice to see some activity on this list.  As for
Xenotars and Planars I love my 3.5 E Xenotar but must admit that I have tried
to find an affordable  2.8 Planar F (or GX) for years with no luck.  It seems
it's much easier to find a decent Xenar or Xenotar RF in the US than a Tessar
or Planar. Almost all the Planars I see are pretty beaten up late 50s E's

Jan