[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:30:56 -0800

Peter,

Adobe Camera Raw reads/opens Imacon RAW files. A Canon RAW file is different than a Nikon RAW file and is different than an Imacon RAW file and is different than a RAW file from a Microtek or Nikon scanner, but ACR reads them. There is ABSOLUTELY no difference in data coming off of a camera sensor or a scanner sensor. It is analog pixel data, run through an A/D converter, fixed with PRNU algorithms, and delivered to memory. Where the memory is and what kind it is makes no difference. CF, SD, Firewire/USB to your laptop/desktop, whatever. If you request JPEG, then you allow other camera/scanner firmware/ software to muck with it (before you get it), producing a printable compressed file, losing some data in the process.

Jim

On Nov 23, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Peter K. wrote:

RAW? You cannot scan RAW files or scan to RAW. Those are proprietary files that a Digital SLR creates and you use Adobe Camera Raw to open, adjust and then save them as JPEG or whatever file you want, except RAW.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I tend to mess around rather a lot and change scan settings and re- scan. I > could get about 2 scans I was satisfied with per evening. I haven't scanned
> anything for months but i have my last roll of kodachrome to do...
> Frank

Try scanning raw.
Less messing around. But really mainly good if you've kept your Photoshop chops up through the years. As scanner interfaces and software changes but
Photoshop is still Photoshop.

Mark William Rabiner

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬