[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:44:50 -0500

> Hi,
>
> Raw files ARE available from scanners, depending on the software and the
> scanner.  They are (almost) exactly the same as a raw file from a digital
> scanner.  What a raw "image" is, is an image that does not have setpoints
> and tonal curves applied.  The difference in a digicam raw file (which
> aren't *really* proprietary, per se) and a scanner raw file is, the scanner
> raw file is "full" RGB, and the digicam raw file has not had the Bayer
> pattern reconciliation done (has only one color per "pixel").
>
> But, anyway, Mark etc. are perfectly correct, you can (typically) get raw
> scans from a (decent) scanner.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin

Although a raw file in a camera has all kinds of metadata like which f stop
you used which a raw file from a scanner does not have.
And I'll admit they may come up a bit dauntingly off. But my case I've been
using Photoshop since it's beginning; around 1990; so I've VERY comfortable
using it. Its not like "I wonder whets going to happen if it press this
slider thing".  And all the "info" in the neg image wise is there as in
detail and tonality. And I can get it looking perfect in no time flat. Id
not want to scan raw if I had to match up a series of images I don't think
I'd be on top of that. Sometimes scanner software is worth it.

http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Laterellefallspage.html
Here's an example of a raw scan which surpasses by a mile any scan I'd done
with it medium rare or well done previously.
In many cases with many of my key images I had to go back later and rescan
them raw when that became avaible.

It was shot with a 150 Sonnar by the way on an ELM.

Mark William Rabiner