[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Gene Johnson <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:45:19 -0800

Yeah, if I was going to make prints from scans, I would probably consider
something better than the flatbed.  I  the files for e-mailing and websites,
etc. For making prints, I'm pretty much a darkroom guy.

Gene

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Stephen Attaway <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> At the risk of being put down as a 'scanner snob' I finally popped for a
> used Nikon 8000ed a few years back. And a glass film carrier.
>
> The 8000ed blows the flatbeds right out of the water - 60 lpmm vs about 42
> lpmm on my Epson 4870. It's a big difference, easy to see.  The 8000 will
> give you just about everything on the film. And the 8000 ed is much, much
> faster, too - especially with Digital ice on.
>
> Its still possible to buy a brand new 9000ed for a bit over 2k, with a bit
> of hunting around. A good used 8000ed runs about $1300 and is almost as
> good. The glass 120 film carrier (FH-869G) is also pricey and very hard to
> find, but holds my transparencies flat enough so that they are in focus
> corner to corner.
>
> Expensive yes, but easily the most useful Rollei accessory I every
> purchased.
>
> And the 8000/9000 give really useful 35mm scans that make beautiful 11x14s
> - its 4000 dpi scan head and high resolution lens are a very good match for
> a nikon 50mm enlarger lens in a good sturdy enlarger. Or the 80mm el-nikkor
> for that matter. Both of them are gathering dust in my attic right now...

Be Just and Fear Not