[rollei_list] Re: Scanners

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 20:49:31 -0500

At 08:21 PM 5/23/2016, David Sadowski wrote:

I would take the slide out of the glass mount for scanning purposes. I doubt whether it is Anti-Newton Ring (ANR) glass. If you don't already know what Newton Rings are, you could look it up.

No need to doubt, I've been doing this for some time, perhaps even longer than your age. Also ANR glass for MF slides was available in most stores in The Netherlands in 1963, not hard to get as here. I still have about 500 sets of un-used glass mounting systems from my time working in The Netherlands.

All my glass mounts have ANR glass on the non-emulsion side. It wasn't necessary on the emulsion side because Ektachrome 64 in 1963, and even more, Agfachrome, had very thick emulsion that was not flat, far from it. The processed emulsion thickness varies with the image!

I have, in the past, removed some of those old slides from their glass mounts* but don't plan to remove any more until I get some more appropriate protective holders.

Thanks,

DAW

*I was still using the Canoscan but my remaining XP computer was running very slow so I decided to upgrade to an ppropriate scanner.